Selous Game Reserve is an immense area of protected wilderness that has remained untouched for thousands of years, explore this park on a day trip starting from Zanzibar or Dar es Salaam.
The Selous is the largest game reserve and one of the favourite game viewing areas in Africa. Covering a total area of about 54,600 km2 (21,081 sq. miles), almost 6% of Tanzania’s land surface, is amongst the largest protected wet wilderness areas in Africa, SELOUS GAME RESERVE located in the South of Tanzania and four times the size of Serengeti.
The Selous game reserve is the size of Switzerland. A large area of the reserve is drained by the Rufiji River. There are over 2,000 species of plants, over 430 species of birds, and 60 species of mammals, plenty of wildlife including Lions, Leopards, Elephants, Buffalos, Hippos, and Crocodiles.
- This tour starts and ends in Zanzibar.
- Activities: Game drives
- Shared tour: This tour will be shared with other guests; exclusive private tours can be organised at extra cost.
- Departure/ Arrival: From Zanzibar at 06:00/07:35, arrival time in Selous at 06:30 / 08:20
- Departure/arrival: From Selous at 16:00, arrival time in Zanzibar at 16:30/17:00
Rates & Costs of this 1 Day Safari to Selous
- Price per person $450
- Per Child $380
- 1-2 Years: Free
Enjoy a full day safari at Selous Game Reserve
Day 1 – Zanzibar to Selous – Full-Day Game Viewing – Return to Zanzibar
In the morning, you will start your safari in Zanzibar, flying in a light aircraft to the Selous, one of Africa’s most significant game reserves. On arrival at Mtemere airstrip, you will be met by our driver guide for greetings and a briefing about your day trip tour plan.
You will start a safari game drive, sightseeing the game in the park, driving through the savannah and along the river and lakes. Game drives are the best way to explore giant games like elephants, buffaloes and predators like lions. In addition, the Selous is home to the largest population of wild dogs in Africa, which are a real highlight if you are lucky enough to encounter a pack.
At around noontime, your guide will stop for a picnic lunch in a stunning location with a clear park view of the park. Then you will continue to explore the African bushes before returning to the airstrip at around 16h00 for your scheduled flight back to Zanzibar.
- Return flight from Zanzibar.
- Game drive in an open-sided customised Safari vehicle
- Picnic lunch
- Bottled water, all soft drinks, tea and coffee.
- Park fees
- English-speaking driver-guide
- Airport transfers
- International flights
- Personal travel insurance
- Tips – (Tipping highly recommended)
- Personal items – (Souvenirs, travel insurance, visa fees, etc.)
- Government-imposed increase of taxes and park fees
Terms & Conditions
This day trip to Selous game reserve can be booked 1 day in advance. Do ensure to inquire about children’s policy. Prices are subject to change without notice.
Inquire now on our bookings page for more information